Before the church building, on that place there was Sant' Andrea de Aquaricariis
chapel [“water bearers” from which the city depended after the breach of the aqueducts ]. In 1482, related to Pope Sisto IV’s vote, on the foundations of the chapel a church dedicated to Maria was built up in order to remember a miraculous event for which the Vergine image would have bled in this place. In fact Sisto IV was struck by this event and made the vote that if the conspiracy of the Pazzi, in which he was involved, had not carried to the war as it was feared, he would have made built a big church dedicated to the Madonna in this place.
The author of this new plan is not famous even if he is believed to have been Baccio Pontelli. In 1611 the greater altar and the tribune were rebuilt. In 1656-1667 Pope Alexander VII ordered to restore the building by Pietro da Cortona,who added the famous baroque facade between the concave wings: this facade wanted to simulate a theatre stage, it has got two orders and it is preceded by a pronaos semicircular of twin doric columns. The church fills upnearly completely the space of the small square that precedes it. Many houses were demolished by Pietro da Cortona in order to create this trapezial space in miniature.
The inside part, reached through the original doorway of XV the century, has got a short aisle with an octagonal cruise and a tribune surmounted by a dome. Carlo Maderno designed the high altar (1614) in order to frame the venerable painting of Madonna with Child.
Raffaello executed the famous frescoes of the Four Sibille based on the instructions received from the Angels, frescoes situated over the arc which brings to the door of Chigi chapel, ordered by Agostino Chigi, the Pope’s banker. The frescoes were not finished because of dead of Raffaello (1520) and therefore they were finished relating to Raffaello’s designs from Sebastiano del Piombo. Raffaello Timoteo Viti’s student painted the four prophets.
The second chapel on the right (Cesi chapel) was planned from Antonio da Sangallo the Young, and it has a delicious renaissance decoration on the external arch one, worked by Simone Mosca, and two small frescoes, the Creation of Eva and the original Sin by Rosso Fiorentino. The first crape on the left (the Ponzetti chapel) has got remarkable renaissance frescoes of Baldassarre Peruzzi, very famous architect. The second chapel on the left has got marbles taken by the Temple of Giove capitoline. It is also admirable the "monument to the bishop Giovan Andrea Boccaccio", rinascimental work of the Lombardic sculptor Luigi Capponi, follower of Andrea Bregno;
The tribune has got paints of Carlo Maratta, Peruzzi, Orazio Gentileschi, Francesco Albani and others.

Rome Your Home © 2007 Copyright - created by paolo tota