Piazza Venezia is a famous square in Rome. It is situated
near the Campidoglio, where there are the most important
streets of the centre of Rome: via dei Fori Imperiali,
via del Corso, via del Plebiscito.
Its actual aspect underlines that the square derives
widely from the participations of demolition and reconstruction
between the end of the 1800's and the beginning of the
1900's. It is very important to remember the Victorian,
built during two centuries, colossal monument to Vittorio
Emanuele II (often erroneously identified with the Altar
of the Native land, of which in truth it is only a part).
In order to realize the enormous complex some ancient
constructions were demolished, among them the monastery
of Ara Coeli. In 30 years the small Venice palace
was moved because it was between the square. The Victorian
maintain the rests of the Milite Ignoto, to remember
the soldiers fallen in war without worthy interment,
incessantly watched by two military and from a lighted
flame. The complex of Vittoriano accommodates periodically
important exhibitions, beyond the Sacrario of the flags.
On the western side there is the facade of the Venice
Palace, that it was initially the Pope house: Pope Giulio
II assisted from the balcony of the palace to the race
of the Barb horses, that until 1883 took place along
via del Corso and finished in the square.
Then, from 1564 to 1797, there was the venetian representation
near the Papal State. When the Conference of Vienna
assigned to the Asburgo the territories of Serenissima,
also the palace followed the same fate and acted as
embassy of the Empire Austro-hungarian until 1914, when
it was confiscated from the State. In the period of
the Fascism, Benito Mussolini chose it as president's
house and from the balcony he pronounced its speeches.
In front of the Venice palace it has been raised, to
first of the 1900's, the Palace of the General Assurances
of Venice, whose facade (architect Giuseppe Sacconi)
resumes the essential lines of the most ancient palace
that faces it; it is adorned by a lion of Saint Mark
captured from a bastion of the walls of Padova.
Beyond to Venice Palace, of the original arrangement
of the square the north side has been conserved with
the Bonaparte Palace, where Letizia Ramolino lived,
mother of Napoleone.