Spain Square, with the perron of Trinità dei
Monti, is one of the most famous public squares in Rome.
The monumental perron of 135 steps was inaugurated
from Pope Benedict XIII in occasion of the Giubileo
of 1725; it was realized (thanks to the French financings
of 1721-1725) in order to connect the Spanish borbonic
embassy (to which the name of the square) to the church
of the SS. Trinità dei Monti.
It was designed by Alexander Specchi and Francisco De
Sanctis after long discussions on how the steep slope
on the side of Pincio had to be urbanized in order to
connect it to the church. The final solution chosen
is the large staircase decorated with many terrace-gardens,
and in spring and summer it is adorned with many flowers.
In the square there is the most famous fountain of Barcaccia,
(first Baroque period), carved from Pietro Bernini and
his son, Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
To the right angle of the staircase there is the house
of the English poet John Keats, who lived and died there
in 1821, today transformed in a museum dedicated to
Keats and his friend Percy Bysshe Shelleys
memory, full of books and memory of the English Romantic