The main feature of the church of Saint Maria
of the Peace is the Bramante Cloister (1503-1505),
built for the cardinal Oliviero Carafa. It has
got two floors, the first one with arches on pillars
and the second one with architraves resting on
pillars and columnes.
It is the first roman work of Bramante; it is
very important because for the first time there
are four orders of the antiquity (tuscanic, doric,
ionic and corinthian) overlapped. The cloister
has a Roman architecture, with parastas and round
arches, and it introduces a radical language:
it is very strict and it lacks of decorations.
In this innovation Bramante shifts from the Milan
period, during which he realized many decorated
The cloister is the centre of art expositions.